1770 Springview Place Kamloops BC, V2E 1X9
Phone: 778-471-6075 Fax: 250-377-2258
Becoming a Host Family
Our International students travel here from all over the globe. They have chosen Kamloops as their destination to step out of their comfort zone and immerse themselves into our culture by living with a host family and attending one of our 6 local high schools associated with the program.
Some students are here to further develop their English skills while others just want to get a real Canadian culture experience. But one thing they all have in common is the requirement of a strong support and a warm welcoming home, and that is where you, the homestay family come in.
Becoming a host family is an experience unlike any other for all members of the family and an opportunity to create long-lasting relationships.
As a homestay provider you will have the opportunity to meet new international friends, connect with other homestay families and overall learn, understand and appreciate the differences and similarities of other cultures to our own.
• Providing a safe and comfortable environment
• Providing a private bedroom for your student with a bed, desk, dresser, lamp, internet access, and access to a bathroom.
• Providing 3 healthy meals a day plus nutritious snacks.
• Assisting your student with acquiring their bus passes and cell phone services at the students cost.
• Helping your students become familiar with your home, expectations with laundry, meals plus bedroom and bathroom.
• Be available to meet your student at the airport on the day of the student's arrival and to see them off on their departure.
• Being available to converse, and engage in your student’s life while they are here. Including them in family activities and outings. And knowing what they are doing when they are not at home. Ex. at the mall, at a practice, with friends where?
• These students are your children while they are here, it is important that you help make their stay enjoyable, safe and if ever you have concerns or need answers to questions; Please work with us immediately so we can find a solution. Don’t wait until it is too late. Things happen good and bad.
• Remember your student will most likely not be familiar with things you may think are simple and take for granted Ex. - turning on the shower, making a sandwich, or preparing their lunch. Time it takes to get around the city, store hours etc to the importance of communication with you.
Understanding your student from * BRAZIL * CHINA * GERMANY
• This program is a ZERO tolerance program, meaning that students who engage in drugs, alcohol, driving or any other illegal activities while here can have their study halted and be returned home.
These are a few of the responsibilities of a homestay family. Final application process reviews all responsibilities.
As a host family you become a vital part of your students’ time abroad and their experiences. They have the chance for total cultural immersion by living with the locals - you. You give them the opportunity to gain deeper insight into local everyday life, picking up expressions with much greater ease & understanding and returning home with an experience they will cherish for years to come.
We are always looking for warm and caring host families, whose primary language is English, and who have extra room and some time for an international student or visitor.